Thursday 2 March 2017

Where I lost her - T.Greenwood

Eight years ago, Tess and Jake were considered a power couple of the New York publishing world— happy, in love, planning a family. Failed fertility treatments and a heartbreaking attempt at adoption have fractured their marriage and left Tess edgy and adrift. A visit to friends in rural Vermont throws Tess’s world into further chaos when she sees a young, half-dressed child in the middle of the road, who then runs into the woods like a frightened deer. 

The entire town begins searching for the little girl. But there are no sightings, no other witnesses, no reports of missing children. As local police and Jake point out, Tess’s imagination has played her false before. And yet Tess is compelled to keep looking, not only to save the little girl she can’t forget but to salvage her broken heart as well.  

Blending her trademark lyrical prose with a superbly crafted and suspenseful narrative, Where I Lost Her is a gripping, haunting novel from a remarkable storyteller. 

My thoughts:
I wanted to try more thriller/mysteries, so I started with a fairly easy one. A mix of fiction and thriller.

It's about a marriage that is falling apart. They tried so long for a baby and everything just failed, and now, they seem to be failing. In all of this Tess sees a child on the road. But is she really a reliable narrator? First, she was drunk. Second, we get to see her whole past slowly emerge, how they wanted to have a baby, how they then tried to adopt. All to make the reader feel like she can not really be trusted. Because others sure seem to think she made it up. But at the same time, she saw the girl! She saw something. Still, there is no trace of a missing child. And that is where the mystery comes in. Is there really a child? And what happened to that child? Where is she? What is going on in those woods? Or did she just make  it up?

I did like how Tess never gave up, she kept searching even though some thought her just in want of attention. I did like the support she got from her bestie, she never thought for a moment it was not real.

And as the book moved on the mystery got more suspenseful.

Conclusion:
It was a good mystery, nice bit of suspense thrown in too. I also liked the whole doubt thing, because I will not tell you what is real or not. You have to read and see for yourself

Cover
Good

Paperback, 292 pages
Expected publication: March 2nd 2017 by Corvus (first published February 23rd 2016)
Fiction/Thriller/Mystery
For review

40 comments:

  1. I really enjoy books like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to Tessa's desperation but I wish books like this would also portray how it affects the man in the relationship with equal measure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the story about the child after all, but we so see how it affected him. Not good

      Delete
  3. It sounds like an enjoyable mystery. I don't think I've seen much of this book around. Thanks for putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand her heartbreak. So tough when you so desperately want a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so sad to see, and it also made you wonder if she really had seen something

      Delete
  5. oh gee thanks for leaving me in suspense, :P now I need to go find this book

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah an unreliable narrator. Those can be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You want to believe her, and I did, but at the same time...you wonder

      Delete
  7. I am getting back into thrillers, this sounds like I might like this one. I like the whole doubt thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, a nice one, reminds me a bit of The Girl on the Train...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like Thrillers. This does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds good! Now I want to know what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, I like the sound of it. Was there a girl or not? Now I want to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm guessing what was real from your review and thinking it would make a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this would really unsettle me. It's already so hard for me to read about couples in that kind of situation, and then to have something like that happen to her making her question her sanity...

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well she never thought she was wrong, she knew she had seen something

      Delete
  14. I really like books which have unreliable narrators, especially when they have you double checking yourself throughout. Thank you for putting this book on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  15. AN interesting topic there, it sounds like a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds pretty good so I'll look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like an interesting read. I am rather intrigued and want to know what is going on with the child. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This does sound like a good one, I like unreliable narrators.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP