Monday 20 March 2017

Carole's Monday Review: The last gods of Indochine - Samuel Ferrer

Author:  Samuel Ferrer
Title: The Last Gods of Indochine
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: 439
Published: September 20th 2016
Where I Got It: My Shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)

Jacquie Mouhot and Paaku the Lotus-Born are divided by six centuries but linked by a common curse. In medieval Cambodia, Paaku is an orphan whose community believes he may be a reluctant incarnation of a god, causing sectarian turmoil for the kingdom's leaders. Meanwhile, in 1921, Jacquie follows the footsteps of her grandfather, a famous explorer, to Indochina, where she becomes immersed in the tragedy of Paaku's history: a story simultaneously unfolding in the intertwined present and past, a story in which she still has a vital role to play.




I can't help but love books like these. Two different story lines, but ultimately connected. The past has a way of really playing a role in the present. Can't get enough of books like this!



But this follows Jacquie and Paaku. Jacquie is the granddaughter of an explorer and she decides to do some traveling. Paaku is a poor kid that is being forced into the world of politics and religion because they think he is the incarnation of a god. There is really a third character mixed in and that is Jacquie's granddad since we get a glimpse from his POV through diary entries. I think the blending of the three stories was done well. 



I felt bad for Paaku.



Jacquie was an interesting character, especially near the end. Did I like her? I don't think so, but she was interesting and complex. I really didn't except the big reveal at the end. 



It took a while for me to really get into the story. The first few chapter were meh, but it got better around halfway. Took a while, but once I was hooked, I was hooked. I finished the second half of the book within one sitting. 



Now..the ending was good, but I'm mad. HOW CAN LEAVE ME LIKE THIS!? I MUST KNOW WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT!!!!! GAHHHH! It was a very open-ended ending. I hope there is another book or even a short story that wraps everything up with a nice bow. Too much left unanswered. What is Jacquie going to do next? GAH! *shakes fist* BUT like I said...very good overall.



In the end, this was pretty good. It took me a while to really get into the story. A little longer than I like, but I held on and then at the halfway point I was hooked. The ending left me wanting more. The characters were interesting and complex. I didn't really connect with anyone. But I found them intriguing and that kept me going. I do recommend this for those that like historical fictions and complex situations and people. Out of five stars, I shall give this...mmmm....3 stars. Nearly a four.



About Carole the Reviewer

What is there really to say? I am of course a lover of books, poetry, movies, plays, and music. Nothing is better than enjoying a cup of tea and immersing yourself in another world and forgetting about the world for just a little bit. My cat and chinchillas keep me entertained over here in Michigan (the mitten state of the USA). I'm game for any genre of book or movie. You can find me over at Carole Rae's Random Ramblings.











10 comments:

  1. I love the cover. I'm a fan of Historical Fiction but I've got to say I've never read anything beyond Europe and the States. So this being in Cambodia sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I totally hate when the ending is so open like that. Drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh ya I agree those stories can be so interesting especially when they finally merge together <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't stand books that don't have closure at the end. I am not sure that I would have liked the slow start either but it does sound like this book had some good points.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like converging story lines like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review and I love historical fiction. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome review. Thank you for sharing. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Carole. I am glad it finally pulled you in an hope you get more soon.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP